Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Scrapbooking ain't my gig

I’m an Artist…not the Crazy Craft Lady
Let’s not confuse fine art with cross-stitch.  Don’t ask me to make paper mache volcanos and dioramas of dinosaur habitats for your science lesson.  No, I can’t use your old nasty egg cartons and your boxes of broken crayons you can’t bear to throw away.  I do not want your faded scrap paper or your old milk cartons.  Times have changed since art class in 1957.  We use actual art supplies and we create interesting and challenging works of art with paper, paint, and other materials suited for art class in the 21st century.   I’m not saying that I don’t use recycled materials once in a while, and let’s face it….I luv me some glitta…I’m just saying that I don’t expect you to use moldy textbooks and broken pencils so don’t be offended when I do not want to store your old cardboard shoeboxes and yarn scraps, k? 
  No, I do not scrapbook.  I actually had one of these scrapbookers say; “You could scrapbook if you try…it’s easy!”  Really?  Ya think?  Ya think all of my years in school and as a practicing artist I too would figure out how to put stickers on a page and perhaps learn to use pinking shears?  I know, I’m sooo mean, what an arrogant bitch I am, but seriously…. When will these crafters leave me alone?  Rubber stamping is not art.  Stringing beads someone else made is not art.  Scrapbooking using stickers and die cut shapes is not art and definitely not my idea of a fun afternoon.  I am happy that these folks have found something that helps them feel creative, but don’t drag me into it. Do not confuse those hobbies with a career as an artist.  Sorry if I hurt your feelings.  Why don’t you buy a huge white sweatshirt and iron a pattern of perhaps…a bunch of kittens over the words, World’s Greatest Me-Maw, and puff paint the hell out of it?  It will make you feel better and you will have something to wear when they throw you into the psychiatric ward.  I just hope they don’t put you in the bed next to mine.  I insist on watching Judge Judy everyday at 6 and I hate pudding. Put that in your basket and knit it.
I feel much better now.

3 comments:

W T said...

Enjoying reading your blog... Truly miss your sense of humor. I'll send those empty toilet rolls right over... ;)

Miriam said...

knitting is not art but it is my yoga, and i look darlin' in my hats, socks, and what-not.

Anne Marie said...

*round of applause*

You have typed my exact thoughts. Yeah yeah, we're just being MEAN and NEGATIVE, whatever.

But I don't think I AM being mean. I don't think there's anything wrong with stamping/scrapbooking if you enjoy it. I just don't think I'm insulting someone by saying it's not art.

But it IS kind of insulting to people who've actually worked at their particular artform to become good at it, who at least try to be original and make something that's all their own, to say that you're just as much an artist as they are because you coloured in someone else's picture all pretty, and glued it next to some patterned wrapping paper.

A crappy, scrawled stick figure is more art than stamping is, if it's from somebody's imagination.