Friday, February 18, 2011

My Mom Can't Cook....but....

My mom cannot cook, but she is a wonderful mother. Whenever anyone in the family gets sick my mom is there with ginger ale and pretzels.  Food you can buy at the store.  She stayed with me for days after my daughter was born and like a lot of babies, she had her days and nights mixed up.  I remember waking up after a much needed few hours of sleep to find my mom, who hadn’t slept in days, walking Tyler around the room softly singing, mostly humming (off key of course) “The Turkey In The Straw.”  A mom like that does not need to be a gourmet cook.  Her gifts are evident in the huge number of people who love and trust her judgement in all matters that do not involve food preparation.  According to my daughter, Gramma can do no wrong. I tend to agree, as long as she stays away from the stove! 

My mom is a retired nurse.  She agrees that she can't cook but if you need your blood pressure taken, a shot given, or your appendix taken out she is your best bet.   Whenever my daughter was sick she wanted Gramma. If she had a cut or a scrape no one could put on a bandaid like Gramma!  Even though Ty is now 27 years old she wants to talk to Gramma when she is sick.  I am so glad that I am lucky enough to have my mom here to talk to and visit as long as she doesn't try to cook us anything things are good.  Thank God she has a sense of humor about her lack of culinary skills!  The ironic thing is that her favorite channel is FoodNetwork!  I guess that's kinda like me watching gymnastics.
Ever since I moved into my own house I have gradually begun to host all of the holiday meals.   I just tell mom what time dinner will be served.  She always asks if there is anything she can bring and then laughs.  She knows the answer.  Bring yourself and dad.  Bring flowers for the table, bring some rolls FROM THE BAKERY. Please don’t bring anything made with Spam. Yes, mom is very happy and relaxed during the holidays now, and so is everyone else.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jane,
I agreethat mom is amazing in all matters except cooking.... Just to let you know, your daughter is 28 not 27........
Luv ya,
Jeff