Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Art vs Math


My friends understand what I do.  They understand that teaching art is just as challenging as teaching any other subject in school.  The difference between the algebra teacher and me is the fact that I have an amazing talent and the algebra teacher can….count…and use a #2 pencil, and wear sensible shoes.  Oh c’mon!  I'm joking the Algebra Nazi!  She gets it….I think….let me put it into an equation:  nerd+dork to the second power minus x(fun) = Algebra Teacher!  I can’t help myself.  I hate math and I don’t care who knows it!  Yeah, I’m talking to you Mrs. Ruckewitz!  You were soooo sensitive!  Just because I created a really accurate drawing of you and your huge mole did not mean you had to fail me by one freakin’ point on finals. Not only that but you sent me to the office for wearing shorts....really cute shorts! I mean, I enjoyed summer school and all, but you were such an uptight, smug, bitch!  One point could have put me over the algebra mountain and into geometry where equations were concrete and made a bit of sense, but nooooooo, you wanted me to suffer for my art (too dramatic?) so I did suffer.  Okay, I’ll admit that you did help me in one way.  The real gem that you and your mole gave me was the realization that I had skills!  No, not algebra skills, drawing skills!  That drawing was so accurate (at least that’s what all my friends who got to see it before you intercepted my pass to Martha said) that I decided then and there to become an artist….and a real pain in the ass to all the authority figures I would encounter for the rest of my life!  You did have an impact on me!  I think I feel a tear coming on….nope….Hopefully you had that mole removed before it turned into a full blown melanoma (awe…) because I want you to live long enough to see what an impact you had on me.  I absolutely HATE algebra, but I have an exciting, fun, and fruitful life despite your efforts to squelch that little seed of creativity I decided to plant in your classroom that spring day in 1973.  Ahhhhh, I feel better, don’t you? 

1 comment:

Kimberly F. Adams said...

Oh my gosh! I had a similar experience, only it was in my Geometry class and my former teacher (who will remain unnamed) is now one of my co-workers! Whenever I remind her of that fact, she says, "And you succeeded in spite of me!"

I absolutely HATE math as a result of her daily torture!