Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Oprah

I saw a dragon fly in my yard who looked just like Oprah Winfrey.  In fact, that bug looked so much like Oprah Winfrey that I googled her to see if she had died...and come back as a dragonfly to deliver a special personal message to me.  Oh sure, you all think that Gayle or Stedman would be the people she visited in her next life as a dragonfly, but maybe Oprah knows how much I admire her and she just flew in to say, "Hi Jane, you are one amazing person, girlfriend!"  I never use the phrase "girlfriend" to another woman as I find that little moniker annoying and overused...especially by middle aged white women who want to relate to black women..."Hey black sister, I am hip and cool....girlfriend...oh no you di'n't!" Unfortunately these black women are way too tolerant and just smile politely and refrain from telling said middle aged white woman to accept the fact that she is white and just talk to black women the same way they talk to every other woman on the planet...in America...

My daughter walked by the garden and said, "Mom, you have to see this dragonfly!"  I walked over and looked at the bug...she had blue-green wings and was the prettiest dragonfly I had ever seen...and then that bug looked me straight in the eyes and nodded her head as if to say, "How are you doin'?" I was shocked! This dragon fly had big beautiful Oprah Winfrey lips that were smiling at us. I know you think I have lost what's left of my mind but I could not stop staring at this bug! She stared right back at me and once again looked at me and nodded her head in greeting and I swear on my sliced lime stash in the pool house 'fridge that she smiled at me with those big beautiful lips!  I whispered, "Oprah?" and the dragonfly winked...okay, now I'm lying but it felt like she winked and  before Ty could get her camera Oprah flew away and we haven't seen her since.  My yard is full of dragonflies doing what dragonflies do...flutter, land and eat mosquitos.  We always look for Oprah Winfrey Dragonfly, but we haven't seen her again. Maybe I should have said, "Hi girlfriend" but I just could not let Oprah think I was a poser.

No comments: