Thursday, May 19, 2011

outside

Why is it that I have a beautiful state of the art stainless steel granite covered six burner gas cooktop rockin', double oven havin', warming drawer containing kitchen, complete with butler's pantry with extra full sized fridge, etc, etc....and I prefer cooking in my outdoor cabana kitchen with the one burner on the greasy grill and the beat up outdoor refrigerator full of beer, expired bbq sauce, sandy half used bars of surfboard wax and paper plates...yes, we put paper plates in the fridge because raccoons love our trashcans...I know that makes no sense, but it isn't worth the argument with D so we all just keep putting paper product next to the Budweiser and he stays happy.
  I own my dream house that I designed and Big D built for me, but as soon as the weather breaks I gravitate to the pool area and the outdoor kitchen!  Our house is airy and gorgeous and I love it, but I would spend every waking hour outside if I could.  Winter is over and I missed spring and summer last year and I may never go indoors again!  I love the breeze blowing and the sandy footprints that never get swept up and the smell of limes as I squeeze them into my Corona while I am chopping up tomatoes for guacamole. I love wearing shorts and old t-shirts and cheap flip flops.   I love to see the grandperfects little bathing suits hanging on the nozzle of the outdoor shower, and the wax covered surfboard leaning against the deck.  I love that we painted the ceiling of this cabana blue and covered the walls with kitschy beach art and I totally love the towels hanging on the backs of all the deck chairs.  It makes me smile to see our 14 year old lab, Marley swimming across the pool forgetting that she has arthritis.  The flowers are blooming and the sea breeze is kickin' and I wonder how in the world anyone would live anywhere else.  Spring is turning into summer here at the beach and the tourists are warming up their minivans so we need to enjoy the beauty while it's still ours to enjoy.   Yup, I think I'll stay outside just a little longer tonight and finish reading that book I put away last summer....do I hear waves?  I heard there were waves tonight.

No comments: